Student ServicesApril 17, 2020 2020-08-12 9:43
Welcome to Skilled Trades College.
Please feel free to browse below to learn more about our programs, employer benefits, government grants and more. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (905-264-1412)
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a form of post-secondary education like university or college but there’s a big difference. An apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and classroom learning that leads to a trade credential – or “ticket”. Apprentices not only learn skills in a classroom but also receive paid on-the-job training with an employer.
It is both. Approximately 80% of the training is done on-the-job with an employer and the other 20% is completed in school (also known as technical training), in most cases alternating between the two. That means you earn money while you learn.
Apprenticeship programs are typically four years long and lead to trade certification.
Skilled trades are respected because of the important role they play in today’s economy. Tradespeople build, operate and maintain Canada’s infrastructure. They build and maintain the homes, services and amenities we use every day. Much of Canada’s productivity depends on the highly specialized expertise of tradespeople.
Skilled workers are in demand across the country and around the world. With more than 300 careers to choose from, there is a skilled trade for every aptitude and interest. A good work ethic, a can-do attitude and a Certificate of Qualification will almost guarantee a job upon completion.
Many trades provide earnings above the national average. By taking an apprenticeship and learning a trade, apprentices can ‘earn as they learn’, decreasing the amount of debt they may incur during their post-secondary training.
One of the best parts of being a tradesperson is that you get paid well for doing work you enjoy. It is no wonder tradespeople are so proud of their skills.
The Value of Pre-Apprentice Training
A Pre-Apprenticeship prepares students for their apprenticeships. Receiving the necessary training from a pre-apprenticeship program can mean having an apprenticeship or not. A pre-apprenticeship gives you the “proof” that you are interested in that career which speaks volumes to a contractor with regards to your eagerness to work and learn. Remember, as an apprentice you are asking someone to hire you. If you do not have the necessary fundamentals and the time spent trained – such as safety requirements, theory, and hands-on experience – you most likely will not be selected as an apprentice because they prefer someone who already completed the necessary training.
Companies will be more willing to take you on as an apprentice because you will be more qualified, experienced and will save your employer a lot of money in training costs (which is why they would rather hire someone that’s gone through the training).
Overall, there is a lot of value that a pre-apprenticeship program offers. It will not only provide you all the necessary training you need to start your career in skilled trades but it will also provide you a much better chance at receiving an apprenticeship with an employer.
Skilled Trades Industry Outlook
Over the next decade, one million skilled tradespeople will be needed to keep Canada’s growing economy strong. With increasing economic growth and a shortage of skilled trade workers, we are looking at a very promising future for those in this industry.
Interested in becoming an Electrician or Plumber? Join our Pre-Apprenticeship Program and become job ready in as little as 12 weeks!
Better Employment Opportunities
Based on the “Taking Action on Skilled Trades” research report published by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, Ontario will face a shortage of about 100,000 skilled trade workers in the manufacturing and building sectors over the next 15 years, due to retirement. This forecast does not include the void created as a result of growth in the industry.
If these 100,000 retiring skilled workers are not replaced over the next 15 years the provincial and federal government would stand to lose between $1.2 billion and $1.3 billion in combined taxation revenues. The impact to Ontario’s economy will be cumulative loss of some $43 billion by 2020.
The forecast losses stated above could double or triple within this time frame as the construction trade continues to grow and prosper in Ontario, resulting in astounding job creation in the skilled trades sectors.