Loading...
Who We Are 2017-06-07T13:13:25+00:00

ABOUT SKILLED TRADES COLLEGE OF CANADA

Formerly known as the Electrical College of Canada, Skilled Trades College was established to provide individuals with the hands-on skills and knowledge required to begin a career in the skilled trades industry.

STC programs focus on safety knowledge, theory, and hands-on experience through simulated work environments in the lab providing young adults and those looking to change careers with the fundamentals necessary to begin an apprenticeship in the skilled trades.

The high demand for skilled pre-apprentice labour combined with the strong construction industry growth has encouraged the college to expand to offer a larger spectrum of pre-apprentice programs.

Today with 2 campuses conveniently located to serve Toronto and the GTA, STC has graduated over 800 students and prepared them for a career in the skilled trades.

VIEW OUR PROGRAMS   

WE’VE CHANGED NAMES

We are proud to announce that we have changed our school’s name from Electrical College of Canada to Skilled Trades College of Canada.

The name change is due to the expansion of our programs which now include: Construction and Maintenance Electrician Pre-Apprentice and Plumbing Pre-Apprentice.

The name change should be perceived as an acknowledgement of the growth and development of Skilled Trades College of Canada and our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional education and hands-on training for individuals looking to start a career in the skilled trades.

The new Skilled Trades College of Canada logo reflects the evolution of the college which offers a diverse range of programs in many specialized trades.  In a larger view, this icon represents the future, and moving forward to a bright new horizon.

WHAT IS AN APPRENTICESHIP?

An apprenticeship is a form of post-secondary education like university or college but there’s a big difference.  An apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and classroom learning that leads to a trade credential. Apprentices not only learn skills in a classroom, but receive paid on-the-job training with an employer.

Approximately 80% of the training is done on-the-job with an employer and the other 20% is completed in school, in most cases alternating between the two.  Apprenticeship programs are typically four years long and lead to trade certification.

LEARN MORE   

GOVERNMENT GRANTS AND DEDUCTIONS

Both the Federal and Provincial governments are projecting a substantial shortage of skilled trade’s workers.  In order to help fill the gap and encourage growth in the sector, they offer a mix of grants and deductions available to both apprentices and employers.

As an apprentice you can take advantage of these grants to help you progress through your apprenticeship.  The credits available to employers help offset training costs and encourage them to hire you.

LEARN MORE